The endless tossing and turning in bed at night does not only make you tired and sleepy in the morning but it also has severe health implications both mental as well as physical that can have far-reaching consequences.
Sleeping less is, in fact, one of the biggest epidemics to hit the world today and research has revealed that sleeping less than seven hours increases the risk of mortality to almost double the proportion.
But, for this, there is more to blame than just the stressful lives, the never-ending rat race, being addicted to smartphones and your graveyard-shifts. For a good quality sustained sleep, the good quality nutrients are also required.
Here a list of important vitamins and minerals that can induce sleep is brought forth to help you sleep well so that you can wake up refreshed and be prepared to take on the world. Just read on.
- Vitamin D – Both the quality and quantity of sleep are said to be improved by the sunshine vitamin. The vitamin D deficiency is associated with disrupted sleep as well as the lack of sleep according to research. Small quantities of vitamin D are found in egg yolks, oily fish and fortified foods while the majority is obtained by exposing the skin to the sunlight.
- Melatonin – This is a hormone that regulates the circadian rhythm of the body. The melatonin can be taken as a supplement for acting as an infrequent sleep aid. This is said to be especially effective to combat jet lag. The body, in most cases, naturally produces melatonin after the sun has set to let us know that it is time to fall asleep. The melatonin when taken in supplements helps with this process. Melatonin also assists in minimising the restlessness at night when combined with the light therapy in case of the aged dementia patients.
- Vitamin C – People who have vitamin C deficiency face more issues while sleeping and have greater tendency to wake up at night. You should have more citrus fruits, bell peppers, kiwis and mangoes and Brussels sprouts for enhancing vitamin C in your body.
- Iron – Being deficient in iron can make you prone to restless leg syndrome when you have to constantly move your legs when you are in bed and hence find it difficult to fall asleep. The women who are deficient in iron are more likely to suffer from this. Include more nuts, liver, beef, dark chocolates, beans, lambs, dark leafy green veggies and whole grains for increasing the iron in your blood. Otherwise you can also have iron tablets.
- Calcium – Calcium is one mineral that has tremendous impact on the sleep. The deficiency of calcium can give rise to the Rapid Eye Movement (REM) or disrupt the dream cycle of the sleep. The calcium also assists brain to utilise the amino acid tryptophan in manufacturing melatonin. This helps in inducing sleep. You can achieve this mineral from dairy products as well as from mustard, kale, sardines, collard greens and sesame seeds.
The above are some of the vital vitamins and minerals that can help you to sleep better. These nutrients are also necessary for snoring and sleep apnea treatment and hence you should have ample of them regularly so that you can lead a healthy life.